Master Drawings New York (MDNY) has announced the list of exhibitors and events for the highly anticipated 2020 edition returning to the Upper East Side from From Saturday January 25 to Saturday February 1. The preview takes place on Friday January 24. Twenty-five of the world’s leading international art dealers will exhibit an exceptional range of drawings, paintings, watercolors and sculptures from the 14th to the 21st century.
Now in its 14th year, the week-long annual event features an array of exhibits primarily along Madison Avenue on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. It presents ephemeral gallery exhibitions by the main dealers in London, Paris, Brussels and Vienna, and special presentations mounted in private gallery spaces by the best specialists in New York.
MDNY has continued to grow in size and popularity. Five new exhibitors join the already prominent list, adding new collection areas and rich diversity. These included Eric Coatalem Gallery (France), Hans P. Kraus Jr. Fine Photographs (UNITED STATES), Moeller Fine Art Ltd. (Germany, United States), Weiss Gallery (United Kingdom) and Fine Arts Victoria Munroe (UNITED STATES).
Originally conceived as an annual gallery walk, Master Drawings New York has become a must-see event, enjoying strong support as its range and influence grows each year. Each exhibition is moderated by an expert specialist and many of the works on offer are newly discovered or have not been seen on the market for decades, if at all.
âWe are delighted to welcome such exciting specialist dealers to Master Drawings for the 2020 edition,â said Crispian Riley-Smith, Co-Founder and Director of MDNY. âMDNY is such a unique event. For its dedicated devotees, museum curators, collectors, interior designers and first-time visitors, it has truly become a crown jewel of the New York winter season.
Master Drawings New York provides guest and private dealers with a platform to exhibit outstanding works of art in New York at a time important to the city’s historic art.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE 2019 MDNY INSTITUTIONAL PARTNERSHIPS EVENT
An extraordinary program of partner events will take place in collaboration with Master Drawings New York.
Special loan exhibit from Bowdoin College Museum of Art:
Appointment: January 25 – February 2
Site: Driscoll Babcock Art Building, 22 E 80th Street
Presenting a selection of drawings from the Bowdoin College Museum of Art in Brunswick, Maine, which houses one of the oldest collections of drawings in the United States. The exhibition will be visible throughout the Master Drawings week at Driscoll babcock at 22 E 80th Street. This is a unique opportunity to see this exhibition of important works rarely seen outside of Maine.
A conference hosted by the Bowdoin College Museum of Art will take place on Sunday, January 26 at 4 p.m.
Exhibition sponsored in part by Peter Bownes-Johnson,
Partner, Private Clients, Vizion Insurance Brokers
The Met Conference Event: Collector’s Choice: Shaping the Met’s Collections
Appointment: Friday January 24 at 11 a.m.
Site: Met Art Study Room, 1000 5th Ave
As the Met kicks off its 150th anniversary, four Met curators from the Department of Drawings and Prints and the Robert Lehman Collection will present masterpieces that have come to the museum as gifts and bequests from major patrons whose contributions have makes the Met’s drawing collection what it is today.
This event is sponsored by Christie’s
Fourth edition of the Master Drawings Week Symposium with the Master drawings Newspaper: Main drawings: yesterday and today
Dated: Tuesday January 28 at 5:30 p.m.
Site: The Institute of Fine Arts, NYU, 1 E 78th Street, New York
Join us for an evening celebrating the origins of Master drawings and consider its future. Editor-in-Chief Jane Turner explores the career and legacy of the journal’s founding editor, Felice Stampfle, and reflects on new initiatives planned for the Master drawings’ 58th year. The program will be followed by a cocktail party and an opportunity to mingle with the journal’s editorial board.
- Saturday January 25 at 10 a.m .: Roberta Olson, curator of drawings at the New York Historical Society will show you his exhibition Artist in exile: The visual diary of Baroness Hyde de Neuville.
- Saturday January 25 at 5 p.m .: Talking Drawings: A Conversation with Collectors, women drawing collectors are led into a conversation by Morgan Library curator Jennifer Tonkovich. Chez Driscoll Babcock, 22 E 80e
- Visits be led by MDNY and New York Drawing until the first weekend of MDNY (January 24, 25, 26, 27)
- Tuesday January 28 at 10 a.m .: At the Cooper hewitt Julia Siemon, Assistant Curator, Drawings, Prints & Graphic Design, will present Stradanus at Cooper Hewitt: a closer look in their Center for the Study of Drawing and Printmaking.
- Friday January 31 at 10 a.m .: John Marciari, Curator of the Drawings & Prints Department and Head of Department at the Morgan Library & Museum, lead a tour of the exhibition, Guercino: virtuoso designer.
** Registration is required for all events. Further details on ticketing and registration are available on our website – www.masterdrawingsnewyork.com. Any images used in the partnership events section should not be reprinted without the prior permission of the institutions owning the works / images **
2020 MDNY EXHIBITORS
- Ambroise Naumann Fine Art (United States) Paintings and works on paper from the 19th and 20th centuries
- Cade Tompkins projects (United States) Contemporary art
- Christophe Bishop Fine Arts (United States) Old Master Drawings to 20th Century Drawings
- Colnaghi (Spain, United States, United Kingdom) Fine Arts from the 1st to the 20th century
- David Tunick (USA) Old Master – Modern Prints and Drawings
- Discovery of Fine Arts (USA) Drawings, paintings and objects discovered in France and Italy
- Didier Aaron (France, United States) Master drawings, 1600-1875
- Eric Coatalem Gallery (France) Specialized in paintings, drawings and sculptures by French masters from the 17th to the 20th century *
- Guy Peppiatt (United Kingdom) 18th and 19th century British watercolors and drawings
- Hans P. Kraus Jr. Fine Photographs (USA) 19th and early 20th century photograph *
- Hazlitt (United States, United Kingdom) Old Master in 19th Century European Art
- James mackinnon (United Kingdom) Old masters, 19th century paintings, watercolors and drawings
- Jill newhouse (USA) European and American works from the 19th and 20th centuries on paper
- Leon Tovar (United States) Modern Latin American art; Drawings by Latin American masters
- The Illuminations (France, USA) Specializing in manuscripts and miniatures from the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, the gallery also deals with rings and jewelry from the same period.
- Marie-Anne Martin | Fine arts (USA) Dedicated to Mexican and Latin American art
- Mireille Mosler (USA) Dutch drawings from the 16th to the 20th century
- Moeller Fine Art Ltd. (Germany, United States) Masters of the 19th and early 20th century *
- Stephen Ongpin Fine Arts (United Kingdom) Master drawings, watercolors and oil sketches dating from the 16th to the 20th century
- Sculpture of Stuart Lochhead (United Kingdom) Antiquity to 20th century works
- Taylor & Graham (USA) American and European paintings of the 19th and 20th centuries
- The Weiss Gallery (United Kingdom) Retailer specializing in portraits of old masters Tudor, Stuart and Northern Europe *
- Fine Arts Victoria Munroe (USA) Specializes in exhibitions of modern and contemporary art, often juxtaposed with historical works on paper *
- M. Brady & Co., Inc. (United States) Old Masters Drawings; Old masters and 19th century drawings, 1520-1930 *
- W&K – Wienerroither & Kohlbacher (Austria, United States) Paintings and works on paper Austrian Secessionist, German Expressionist and International Modern
* Indicates a new exponent
About Master Drawings New York
Master Drawings New York, the preeminent event for drawings on the art lover’s calendar, began as a relaxed gallery stroll at the Old Masters auctions and the Winter Show in New York City. Since its co-founding in 2006 by Old Masters specialist Margot Gordon in New York City and Crispian Riley-Smith from the UK, the week has grown into a much anticipated event.
Master drawings New York
From Saturday January 25 to Saturday February 1, 2020 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sunday January 26 from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Preview: Friday January 24, 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Registration is free and compulsory for all events. Further details on ticketing and registration are available on our website – www.masterdrawingsnewyork.com.